Friday, April 11, 2014

My day out in San Francisco

Today would be our only chance to return to San Francisco to see the sights, however Sally was feeling very tired, so I decided to go alone. I would take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) to the Embarcadaro station (centre of SF) and walk to the places I wanted to see.
The BART whisked me into the city in about 15 minutes, which was very good. The main event was to be a visit to Coit Tower, a famous tower in SF, made even more famous as in the film Dirty Harry, as the location where the Baddy meets his end. So my route was Embarcadaro, up Market to Union Sq, where I joined the pavement culture and had a cup of coffee and a Danish in the square, well half a danish, as the birds descended and had a go at it while I went for a coffee refi[ll. From there along Stockton, through Chinatown. then down Filbert, up Telegraph Hill to the tower, only to find that the Tower was closed for renovation until Spring 2014, and that was not yet apparently. However there were excellent views of the city from the park around the Tower. From there I walked down to the Fisherman's Wharfe and walked along the piers, eventually ending up at a clam chowder bar, where I had a calm chowder in a sourdough loaf. very nice. I continued along the waterfront to Hyde, to ave my cable car ride, only to find long lines of people also waiting to have a cable car ride. So I continued walking, thinking it time for a comfort break I stopped in to a mall type area only to find that it was an outlet shop for Chirardelli, so after a few milliseconds of inner debate I enjoyed a lovely chocolate ice cream Sundae. Still not wanting to wait for an hour for the cable car I walked back towards the BART. going from Hyde to Taylor, then walking along Columbus, then along Grant, back through Chinatown, where I bought Sally a pretty fan. On reaching California I should have turned left back to Embarcadaro, but instead turned right and walked up to the top of Nob Hill to catch the Trolley back down. This is because the trolley cost $6 no matter hoe far you ride it,so walking back up the route meant that I got mor for my money. Finally reaching the BART I joined the throng of rush hour commuters and made my way back to San Leandro. A very enjoyable day out. Walked a total of 6.3 miles.


View Walking tour of San Francisco in a larger mapll>

No comments:

Post a Comment